I wanted to share some last minute tips:
- Don’t forget to check out information on transportation to the conference. You might be feeling confident, but it can't hurt to double check.
- Bring apparel to represent your University – Monday is School Spirit Day!
- Comfortable shoes are a must! There is a lot of walking, but you can utilize the shuttle as well.
- Disney Downtown is easy to get to via shuttle and has some great restaurants, if you want off Disney property then visit the Hospitality Desk for some great ideas and approximate cost for a taxi ride. The Annual Conference Program Committee created a great Orlando Guide.
- Find your niche! Look for a commission or interest group related to your interest in advising and attend their meeting. If you like what you see, volunteer to get involved. You can also view sessions by topics/tracks.
- Wear your name tag! They must be worn to enter Veracruz A/B (meal functions) and other events. Plus, you want people to see who you are and where you're from.
- Bring your business cards - great to network and keep in touch after conference (especially important if you’re presenting).
- You will love the choir! Join them on Monday at 5:30 p.m. - make new friends with whom to network and be a part of this tradition.
If you’re presenting, please make sure you check out the reccomendations.
For those of you attending your 1st NACADA Annual Conference, take a few minutes to read some advice from NACADA Executive Charlie Nutt and don’t forget to attend the New Member & 1st Time Attendee Orientation from 8:45-9:45 a.m. on Monday.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in Orlando! If you have any questions as you prepare for your trip, don't hesitate to post them below as a comment.
Special thanks to Glenn Kepic from the University of Florida for collaborating on this post and sharing his tips.